Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hinduism


I was going to post this yesterday, but I never finished it. Instead, I ended up looking at expensive guitars. I want this one. I don't know if I'll get it or not. What do you think--is it worth getting?




Basically, my next task, in order to show which religion is correct, is to go over all major religions and analyze them. I'm going to begin with Hinduism, because it's the easiest.
Hinduism has never been standardized. It's basically a term that describes a very large collection of religions. It generally contains at least one god, and more often hundreds. The atheistic aspect of it, of course, doesn't work because there must be a god. However, the theistic part has a problem too.
Like I said above, Hinduism has no standard belief. One of their traditional stories is as follows:
Five blind men are standing in an empty courtyard. As they stand here, an elephant is brought in. They here it, and decide to figure out what it is. One feels the tusk. He says, "it is like a spear." The next feels its tail. "No, it is like a rope," he says. The third feels its leg. "You're both wrong," he says. "It is like a tree." Then the next feels its ear. "It's like a fan," he said. Finally, the fifth feels its side. "You're all wrong," he says. "It's like a wall."
All were, to an extent, correct. But they only felt a part of the elephant. In this way, according to Hinduism, everyone is right but no one is completely right. But there's a problem with this.
Hinduism itself, because of its non-solid nature, often is cantradicted by the beliefs of two different Hindus. For example, one may believe that there are no gods, and another believes in two hundred different ones. How can both be right? The two cannot exist simultaneously.
So basically, Hinduism is a collection of mysticism that no one really understands. It's not nearly organized or coherent enough to bother applying much logic to. If you (the reader) happen to be a Hindu and I have drastically misrepresented your religion, let me know. This, however, is Hinduism to the best of my knowledge.
Mitchell

1 comment:

Zoey's Mom said...

The thing about quality guitars is that they hold their value. If you buy it and decide you wish you hadn't, you can always sell it or trade it.
Aunt Julie