Wednesday, April 23, 2008

things that don't make sense

In the town that I live in (Coleman, Texas), there is an interesting thing that has been done with the streets. Intersecting Commercial Avenue, we have First through Thirteenth Street. However, intersecting these streets is Fifth Avenue. Fifth Avenue and Fifth Street intersect with each other. How did this happen?

Well, however it happened, it did. When I first encountered this, I was shocked speechless. Both signs said "5th" in large letters, and I failed to notice the tiny letters saying "st." and "ave." After a while, I got used to it. I don't really notice the strangeness anymore, I just keep going.

Christians tend to do that also. There will be some incongruity that doesn't quite fit, that doesn't make sense with the things we've been taught. However, our lives are much to busy to spend all our time trying to think through these things, and so we just push ahead. Eventually, we just forget about it.

Here's one of them:

Look up at the stars. These tiny points of light are massive balls of flame billions of lightyears away. A lightyear is the distance it takes light to travel in one year. So if the earth is only a few thousand years old, as it is according to the Bible, how could the light have reached us yet? How can this be?

At some point in the future, I will write about my theory as a comment to this post. However, in the meantime, I would like to hear your ideas, because they could (probably) be better than mine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

because

Melissa Nelson said...

That's why we never really get around to studying astronomy. I start to choose books and get stuck on that point. I have figured you'd find the answer for me at some point. ;-)

Mom

Grammy said...

I am anxious to hear your theory. Something that amazes me: If you make a scale model of the Solar System reducing all dimensions by 1trillion; the sun would be the size of a mustard seed and the whole system would fit in a closet. But the nearest star would be on the other side of town.

Something I remember from physics: the speed of light is independent of the speed of its source.

One more comment; God created the heavens and the earth before he created light.

These are just comments. I have no theory.

Mitchell said...

On April 24th, Anonymous said something smart. "because." Basically, that's my answer. God made all the stars and planets in the state that they are in now--meaning that when He created it, the light was already here.

That's my answer.

Karen of TX said...

One way I've heard it made to fit is that the light He created reached the earth on the fourth day, meaning that the rest of the universe was created long before the earth. I'm an old-earth creationist, so I'm not espousing that, but it's an interesting thought. There are also theories of the speed of light being different a long time ago, but you'd have to run that by Einstein.