Friday, June 6, 2008

Skillet

In about 24 hours, I will surrounded by a very large crowd of people, who are all observing a group of people standing on a stage holding guitars. This group of people is known collectively as "Skillet." Skillet is classified as a Christian metal band, meaning that they like thick distortion on their guitars, play mostly in minor keys, and talk about Jesus in a positive light.

In the place where I live, many people consider this style of music to be evil. I am not one of them.

I have been writing this blog for a whole six months and still haven't said that. Realizing this, I am ashamed. So here is a list of things I haven't admitted:

1: I don't think that the King James Version of the Bible is the only correct one.

2: I don't like the song Peace Like A River, and in fact I don't like the majority of the hymns that I know.

3: I don't believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit died with the last of the apostles (in my defense, there is absolutely no biblical backing for this).

4: I don't think that it's wrong for a woman to wear pants.

5: I don't think it's wrong for a woman to speak in church.

6: I don't think that you're going to hell if you've been to a Catholic/Methodist/Church of Christ church.

That's all I can think of for now. If you've never heard any of these things said, good for you. If you believe any of these things. . .this is probably the wrong blog for you.

P.S. A little before I see Skillet, I'll see a band called Demon Hunter. I really wish I had thought of that name first so that I could use it for an acoustic/bluegrass band.

Update: I made an error. In no. 5 I missed the word "don't." I don't what I said I did think. This is what is called "the works of the foolish man," I guess.

Also, Skillet was great, Demon Hunter was. . .not as good. However, I would love them forever if they did a version of Peace Like a River.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1: Alright, I'm with you on this one.

2: Exactly what is it that you don't like about this and the majority of hymns that you know? Is it the style or the lyrics?

3: This is a bit of a long one to engage in the comments, but you should do a post on this one.

4: Gotta admit, I don't get this one at all. Care to explain? Is it tradition? Biblical backing? What?

5: How do you feel about woman pastors and evangelists?

6: Totally with you on this one.

Oh, and for the record, Skillet puts on a GREAT show! I've worked a few of their shows in Tulsa, OK. Cool guys. Demon Hunter isn't too bad either.

Melissa Nelson said...

Mitchell, you don't have to post this, but I wanted to ask you about number 4. You believe it is wrong for a woman to wear pants? Am I offending you nearly every day? Please let me know about this one.

Faith said...

Was that a typo or do you really think that it is wrong for women to wear pants?

Karen of TX said...

1: I don't think that the King James Version of the Bible is the only correct one.
>Because it's the one Jesus used, isn't it? :) There isn't a correct one; we have to use the discernment God gave us.

2: I don't like the song Peace Like A River, and in fact I don't like the majority of the hymns that I know.
>I think it's what you're exposed to early on. My musical tastes were pretty much set in my teens, and that means I like "Just As I Am" and Cat Stevens equally. Sometimes I'm awed by the fact that I'm singing a song that Christians have sung for hundreds of years.

3: I don't believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit died with the last of the apostles (in my defense, there is absolutely no biblical backing for this).
>But when you're in a tradition where you've never seen any, it's hard to say. I know I need to get out more, but I've never personally witnessed any. Would like to.

4: I think that it's wrong for a woman to wear pants.
>Reason? Not Deut. 22:5, I hope, because that changes with the culture. I think the principle is not to pass yourself off as the opposite sex.

5: I don't think it's wrong for a woman to speak in church.
>Good! Me neither, but I choose to attend a church where it's frowned upon, so I learn even more about meekness and grace. Lots to learn.

6: I don't think that you're going to hell if you've been to a Catholic/Methodist/Church of Christ church.
>Gosh, I hope not. Who does think this? I hope your generation can move beyond denominational boundaries and realize that it's not God's plan for us to be divided and arguing over minor points while the world dies around us.

Anonymous said...

1:Glad I was freed of KJV! Why is it that people that don't believe in speaking in tongues, prefer to read in tongues?

2: Mostly if I never sang another hymn I'd be fine. However I do like Peace Like a River and I'll Fly Away, Amazing Grace (when done with talent).

3: I agree totally! It is fine for those that don't believe to pray for healing, as long as they just don't believe it will happen. Confusing huh?

4: I wear mostly shorts. Only when cold do I wear pants. I do believe unlike churchey people that pantyhose is not holy (they are holey) but evil designed by some sick man that designed a product for men to notice women's legs while bringing the utmost uncomfort for women. I have been released from pantyhose, never to be in bondage to them again!

5: I do believe that a woman needs to respect the authority of male leadership. This was a hard one for me to get past the teaching of women not being able to preach. When I became a minister, people would tell me' "I don't believe in women preachers" and I would reply, "Neither do I, it wasn't my idea, so take it up with Jesus." A woman (I knew in the past) that was totally against women preachers took authority over the men in that church. That is what I believe is wrong and why women outnumber men in churches.

6: It is the denomination that you are not in that is going to hell weither it is Methodist/Catholic/Church of Christ (and some Baptist). Know one told them it ain't up to us to decide.

You needed a 7th predestination. I believe this is about being called to ministry and not about being saved. If God has His mind made up before we are born that there are those destined to hell and others to heaven. Then He don't need me and I might as well get a job with the government.
Do I think my call was predestined? No I think I was just willing. I wasn't born with the gifts of ministry I recieved, I believe they came after the fact.

Mo
Anyway we could have some great discussions on these topics.